Inspiration

Inspiration
Salvidor Dali's the Warrior

Monday, May 14, 2012

I Can Relate

Any traditional instructor will tell his students that the belt has significance. It represents your time in the system and how much you have learned. However, to make sure students don't get a big head. Their instructor may remind you that beyond showing rank a belt is just there to keep your Gi closed.
    A title belt however is more like a trophy or an accolade. Something to display and be proud of. Recently one Vinny Magalhaes decided that his title belt was nothing he wanted to display and remember and put it on e-bay at a starting bid of 0.09 cents. BRILLIANT!
 The article states that he was having conflict of interests with the organization who awarded him the belt and found a very direct way to let them know he was cutting ties for good. I personally have destroyed a 1st prize trophy awarded to me. It was liberating. I felt the organization running the competition was barely organized and I hated the hierarchy there. I ended up having to fight only my own classmates for the trophy. So when we got home we took turns kicking and chopping this 4 foot trophy into bits. In any case I feel Vinny Magalhaes selling his belt was a right proper F.U. It was his belt and he can do what wants with it. But what do you think. read the article and weigh in with your thoughts in the comments.
Cage Fighter Sells Title belt on E-Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment